English 10-Lord of the Flies Name: _____________________________
Study Guide 6 and 7
1. Ironically, what Ralph wished for does come true. What happens? Why is the answer to his wish depressingly ironic?
2. What do Simon and Eric claim they have seen on the mountain top? How do they describe it?
3. What does Jack say about the conch on 92?
4. How has the significance of the conch changed?
5. When Simon thought of the beast, what picture came to his mind?
6. As the boys are searching the island, who leads the group when they get to the ledge?
7. What strange thing does Ralph notice as the boys are playing around the rolling rocks?
8. What has Ralph come to accept as normal?
9. Why are Ralph's fingernails bitten? What is Ralph insinuating when he says "be sucking my thumb next?"
10. How do the 2 different sides of the island affect his hopes for rescue?
11. What prediction does Simon make?
12. Notice the complete reversal of mood on page 102. What happens to Ralph as he participates in his first hunt?
13. Describe what you would show if you were filming the scene where the boys react the hunt (114-115). How do you think Robert feels during this ritual?
14. Why does Simon go off alone?
15. What do Ralph, Roger, and Jack find at the top of the hill? Do they realize what it is? Do you think the story would be better if the reader didn't know what it is?