Lord of the Flies: The Aftermath
Adapted From Sara A. Reinke, Youth Services Center;
St. Anthony, Idaho (http://www.col-ed.org/cur/lang/lang93.txt)
PURPOSE: Students will have an opportunity
to explore implications of the role of the individual in society--decisions/actions
within a community.
OBJECTIVES: Students will create the script
for an Oprah/Donahue type interview. The subject on the show would be to talk
to the survivors about their experience. There would also be experts on the
show of various kinds.
ACTIVITIES/PROCEDURES: In groups of
2you are to create your own talk show. There needs to be the following
people on your panel. You are to come up with the conversation and emotion.
- one other person from the island besides Ralph
- the naval captain rescuer (describing what he saw, thought at the time
of the rescue.)
- a child psychologist (speculating about the trauma, personal responses
of rationalization, denial, and long-range effects of the experience on
- a former teacher from the boys' school (describing pre-island days personalities
of Ralph, Jack, Piggy)
A Website that Might Help You: Effects
of Emotional Trauma on Children
How You're Being Graded:
- having all components in detail!
- making it seem like a talk show with various types of people (kids and
- writing it in a script format (like a play).
- using your time/equal work
A Good Suggestion:
- Don't type the script...NORMALLY I would have said that you should,
but with today being a shortened class you're losing time in waiting for
the laptop to boot up, shutting down, etc. You will not have access to
them the next day either.
- When you leave class the first day, assign each other a little bit of
writing. For example, Suzie will write the Child Psychologist part and
Kimmy will write the part with Ralph's dad. That way when they come to
class the next day, they won't need as much time.
- Think about the qualities of a talk show. What happens?
An Easy Way to Earn Extra Credit:
Find volunteers to act out your talk show with you in front
of the class. The class will be the talk show audience. You and the volunteers
would earn extra points. The more it appears you worked on the performance,
the more extra credit you would earn.
Home | My
Blog | Moodle
| CyberEnglish Philosophy | English
10 | English 11 | Speech
| My Favorite Web Tools | My
Messy Old Site